If there is one thing that we professionals of the MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions) environment know, it is that a business trip needn´t be boring. For part of the time, work responsibilities are parked and the traveller can enjoy some leisure time. The historical, cultural and geographical richness of Spain offers the professional traveller some of the best business destinations. Cities with a great atmosphere, cosmopolitan, and a vibrant pace which contrast with other quieter ones or those where the cultural and artistic offer is the predominant element.
In addition, Europe boasts an excellent transport and accommodation structure with ease of movement between capitals being very simple thanks to the high frequency of planes and trains, allowing professionals to move around easily. There is also, of course, a wide variety of venues for celebrating high quality events, thus offering a unique experience for business travellers. For this reason, it has not been difficult to find some of the best MICE destinations in Europe.
Main European capitals for MICE tourism
To speak about the main European cities for MICE tourism, we would like to begin with the Spanish ones and then move on to the rest of the continent.
- Madrid. Madrid has received several times the award of best destination for European business meetings at the World Travel Awards.Its strategic location makes it ideal for travelling within the peninsula and has direct connections with other European capitals.Here, we can find some of the largest exhibition areas in Spain , such as IFEMA.According to the twelfth annual report produced by Global Meetings & Events Forecast , Madrid has been singled out as the most sought after city for MICE tourism in 2023, followed by Barcelona.
- Barcelona. Barcelona is a very popular MICE tourism destination due to its warm climate, unique architecture and excellent infrastructure. A perfect combination between the business world and culture.The city boasts several high quality conference venues including the Barcelona International Convention Centre ( CCIB).
- Benidorm. Benidorm is the only Smart Tourism Destination on the Spanish Costa Blanca. It has a wide range of leisure and restaurant options from Europe thanks to its privileged setting , which is the Alicante coast and offers 15 Michelin starred restaurants among its gastronomy offer. 300 days per year of sun and an annual average temperature of 18 ºC makes this destination a safe bet for the celebration of outdoor events. On top of that , it is located an hour away from two of the most important airports in Spain, namely Valencia and Alicante.In Benidorm we can find the Grand Luxor Mice which has more than 20 event spaces covering an area of 200,000 m2.
- Athens. This Mediterranean city was chosen in 2022 as the best MICE destination in Europe, within the framework of the Business Destinations Travel Awards.The pleasant climate it offers most of the year makes it an attractive destination for business travellers who wish to combine work and pleasure.Let us not forget that it has a well-connected international airport and a wide range of public transport options.
- Berlin. Berlin is one of the most important business and technology centres in Europe.The city possesses numerous amenities for events and conferences including the Berlin Congress Centre and the International Congress Centre of the city of Berlin.
- Amsterdam. Amsterdam stands out as a cosmopolitan and vanguard citywhich makes it very popular for MICE travel.Its open, tolerant and international atmosphere favours understanding and communication between people of different countries and cultures.Another plus point is that it has an excellent infrastructure and a wide variety of facilities for events , including the RAI Convention Centre of Amsterdam
- Paris. One of the principle European metropolises, Paris is the most popular tourist destination in Europe and this also goes for business travel. We emphasise the Paris Convention Centre.
- London. This European capital is one of the most important business centres in the world.The official language, English, makes it accessible for professionals from all over the world. Among its strong points is the large number of facilities for events and conferences of high standing such as the ExCel Exhibition and Convention Centre, London.
All of these destinations have in common a wide range of high quality services and facilities as well as a rich culture favouring communication and the exchange of ideas at an international business level. Therefore, they deserve recognition as the best MICE tourism destinations in Europe.